VILLA TARANTOThe most beautiful garden in the world
Villa Taranto, on the lakefront of Verbania, is one of the most beautiful gardens in the world; a park of 16 hectares where you can admire more than 20,000 botanical varieties from all over the world and of inestimable value, terraces, pools of water, wide lawns. The garden is open to the public from April to October. Made in 1931 by the Scottish captain Neil Mc Eacharn who, after buying the property, wanted to create a landscaped garden. Thus a park was born which had to re-propose as much as possible the Scottish landscape.
BORROMEE ISLANDSIsola Bella, Isola Pescatori, Isola Madre
Isola Bella – or “beautiful island”, where you can visit the Borromeo Palace, elegant terrace gardens with rare and exotic plants.
Isola dei Pescatori – the only one of the Borromeo Island where you can find a village, you can walk through its narrow streets and admire the balconies that were used by the fishermens to the fish dry in the sun, every year there are several fishermen’s festivals, like that on the 15th of August with a procession with the little tipical fishermen’s boats. Many restaurants where they serve the typical dishes and fish of the lake.
Isola Madre – It is the largest among the islands of Lake Maggiore with 1500 building and the museum with an ancient puppets collection and porcelain dolls. Beautiful botanical garden with plants and exotic birds.
THE VALLIPure and uncontaminated nature
Entering the valleys of the Tourist District of the Lakes, Mountains and Ossola Valleys, you can reach:
– the Val Grande National Park, the largest wilderness area in the Alps and in Italy
– the Regional Park of Alpe Veglia and Devero
– the Wildlife Sanctuary of Macugnaga, at the foot of Monte Rosa, with the tradition and culture of the Walser community
– Val Vigezzo, the picturesque Valle dei Pittori and the Spazzacamini, to discover on board the historic Vigezzina-Centovalli Railway, which connects Domodossola to Locarno.
– Valle Antigorio with swimming beaches, the green of 6 golf clubs with magnificent lake views, state-of-the-art wellness centers and the well-equipped Premia Spa
VILLA PALLAVICINOFauna and flora on Lake Maggiore
Zoological and botanical gardens with marvelous trees, among the oldest in Italy, red beeches, maples, larches, ginko biloba, sequoias, magnolias and the great cedar of Lebanon; inside a zoo of about 20 hectares where you can also find over 50 species of animals including fallow deer, hares, monkeys and zebree and kangaroos, all living in complete freedom.
the richness of the territory is expressed with alpine gastronomic realities such as the smoked ham of the Val Vigezzo, the mortadella of the Val d’Ossola, the mountain pasture cheese such as the Bettelmatt, the Ossolane d’Alpe, the Toma del Mottarone, to taste with rye or walnut bread and a glass of superb Ghemme and Gattinara DOCG. In the local cuisine the river and lake fish, first of all the whitefish, and then perch, pike, river trout, tench, eels and the typical bleak.
Among the desserts are the Pan Dolce di Cannobio and the Margheritine di Stresa
SKI COMPANIESA few steps from the Zagara slopes for all tastes
For lovers of winter sports, you can practice downhill skiing, cross-country skiing, alpine skiing, snowboarding, snowshoes:
– VAL FORMAZZA: Formazzasky, Riale and San Michele plants
– ALPE DEVERO: for freeride snowboarding
– VAL DIVEDRO: San Domenico, Alpe Ciamporino
– DOMODOSSOLA: Monte Moncucco, Domobianca
– VAL ANTRONA: Cheggio
– VAL ANZASCA: Macugnaga (Belvedere, Monte Moro)
– PIAN DI SOLE